The Healthy Refrigeration Grant Program
The Healthy Refrigeration Grant Program (HRGP) funds energy efficient refrigeration units in corner stores, small businesses, and food donation programs in low-income or low-access areas throughout the state to stock California-grown fresh produce, nuts, dairy, meat, eggs, minimally processed, and culturally appropriate foods.
2023 Equipment Request for Applications
The 2023 Request for Applications is now closed. Awards will be announced in November.
|Grant Application Opens||March 20, 2023|
|Grant Application Closes||July 7, 2023, 5:00 pm PDT|
|Review Process||July – August 2023|
|Anticipated Award Announcements||November 2023|
|Tentative Start Date for Grant Terms||January 2024|
Email CDFA-F2F at email@example.com
CDFA-F2F hosted a public comment period from November 21 – December 12, 2022. Stakeholder feedback was used to finalize the RFA and will inform future RFA development.
- View the recording of the listening session in English and Spanish
- View the Summary of Public Comments and CDFA Responses in English and Spanish
View the Listening Session presentation slides in
*Please note: Due to program delays and California state budget cuts, the dates, timelines, and funding amounts listed in the recordings and slides may be inaccurate.
HRGP Technical Assistance Providers
CDFA–F2F held an RFP seeking technical assistance providers to offer outreach, application assistance, and technical expertise to equipment applicants in April 2022, and seven grant awards were announced in July 2022. View a copy of the RFP, Questions and CDFA responses, and a summary of comments and questions submitted and CDFA responses during the public comment period. Current grantees include:
- California Green Business Network, a nonprofit that will conduct statewide outreach and application assistance as well as work intensively in several sites, providing hands-on technical expertise
Community Environmental Council, a nonprofit that will conduct outreach and application assistance in low-income and low-food access parts of the south-central coast, in English, Spanish, and Mixtec
- For assistance in the South-Central Coast region (Ventura, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obispo counties), contact HRGPsupport@cecmail.org.
County of San Diego Agriculture, Weights & Measures, a county that will conduct outreach and application assistance for area stores in eight languages, leveraging food security work and familiarity with local small businesses
- For assistance in the San Diego region, contact Monica Winters at Monica.Winters@sdcounty.ca.gov
Contra Costa Health Services, a county that will provide outreach, application assistance and technical expertise for retailers in Bay Point
- For assistance in the Contra Costa/Bay Point region, contact Denise Milosevich at Denise.Milosevich@cchealth.org
Effecterra, a small business that will offer statewide refrigeration expertise to applicants and create a lasting, informative resource for the program
- Effecterra is available to answer any unusual or remaining questions about equipment that cannot be answered using the resources provided in the RFA. Submit an inquiry here.
- Note: Technical Assistance requests, via the form, will be gathered and responded to in batches, and common queries will be combined as FAQs to be shared as a reference for all current and future grantees. This does mean response times may not be immediate.
High Sierra Energy Foundation, a nonprofit that will offer outreach and application assistance as well as technical expertise in 14-16 rural, hard to reach counties
- For assistance in the Sierra region (Inyo, Mono, Mariposa, Tuolumne, Alpine, Calaveras, Amador, El Dorado, Placer, Nevada, Sierra, Yuba, Sutter, Butte, Plumas, and Lassen counties), contact the Sierra Healthy Refrigeration Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their website, www.sierrafridgegrant.org.
Porchlight Community Services, a nonprofit that will conduct outreach and application assistance targeting food donation programs in the San Diego region
- For food donation programs and nonprofits seeking assistance in the San Diego region, visit porchlightcommunity.org
If your county/region is not listed above, there are Green Business Networks across the state who may be able to provide assistance. The map of CAGBN coverage can be found here.
Call for External Technical Reviewers:
The external technical review committee for the 2023 Healthy Refrigeration Grant Program includes individuals outside of CDFA-F2F who have expertise related to the program. Individuals interested in learning about participating in the external technical review process for the equipment grant round should contact CDFA-F2F at email@example.com. Applicants to the 2023 Healthy Refrigeration Grant Program are not eligible to participate as technical reviewers.
HRGP 2019 Pilot Program:
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the email list for this program.