The Healthy Refrigeration Grant Program
The California Department of Food and Agriculture Office of Farm to Fork (CDFA-F2F) is pleased to share that $20 million was allocated for program continuation in late September 2021. Through the Healthy Refrigeration Grant Program (HRGP), CDFA funds energy efficient refrigeration units in corner stores, small businesses, and food donation programs in low-income or low-access areas throughout the state to stock California-grown fresh produce, nuts, dairy, meat, eggs, minimally processed, and culturally appropriate foods.
The next RFP for applicants seeking refrigeration equipment is planned for December 2022.
HRGP Technical Assistance Providers
CDFA–F2F held an RFP seeking technical assistance providers to offer outreach, application assistance, and technical expertise to equipment applicants in April 2022, and seven grant awards were announced in July 2022. View a copy of the RFP, Questions and CDFA responses, and a summary of comments and questions submitted and CDFA responses during the public comment period. Current grantees include:
- California Green Business Network, a nonprofit that will conduct statewide outreach and application assistance as well as work intensively in several sites, providing hands-on technical expertise
- Community Environmental Council, a nonprofit that will conduct outreach and application assistance in low-income and low-food access parts of the south central coast, in English, Spanish, and Mixtec
- County of San Diego Agriculture, Weights & Measures, a county that will conduct outreach and application assistance for area stores in eight languages, leveraging food security work and familiarity with local small businesses
- Contra Costa Health Services, a county that will provide outreach, application assistance and technical expertise for retailers in Bay Point
- Effecterra, a small business that will offer statewide refrigeration expertise to applicants and create a lasting, informative resource for the program
- High Sierra Energy, a nonprofit that will offer outreach and application assistance as well as technical expertise in 14-16 rural, hard to reach counties
- Porchlight Community Services, a nonprofit that will conduct outreach and application assistance targeting food donation programs in the San Diego region
These projects are slated to begin in fall 2022.
Call for External Technical Reviewers:
The external technical review committee for the 2022 Healthy Refrigeration Grant Program includes individuals outside of CDFA-F2F who have expertise related to the program. Individuals interested in learning about participating in the external technical review process for the December equipment grant round should contact CDFA-F2F at email@example.com. Applicants to the 2022 Healthy Refrigeration Grant Program are not eligible to participate as technical reviewers.
Previous Grantees of the Pilot Program:
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the email list for this program.